“We don’t want sustainability to be a nice-to-have, or a competitive edge; we want it to be a must for all brands globally”
- Jade Massaad, Founder ALKAM
We’re on a mission to drive a movement of conscious consumption. Everything we create is designed to last, so you can buy less, and throw away less. We believe that fashion and sustainability can go hand in hand – you can love your outfit without harming the environment.
Cue, ‘Slow Fashion’, the foundation of ALKAM.
Did you know that 75% of the fashion supply chain ends up in landfills? This is the equivalent to one garbage truck per second (Pulse of the Fashion Industry Report 2018 Report). Here at ALKAM, we embrace simplicity, and the ‘less is more’ philosophy. This notion has been engrained in our brand since it was born out of our living room. We believe in slow fashion, an approach where we encourage our consumers to invest in timeless, higher quality pieces that hold a place in your wardrobe season after season, and therefore have a better impact on our planet.
Our processes start with design, followed by a considered approach to material selection. We hold ourselves accountable to try and use the most sustainable option available, whilst still maintaining the attractive price point for our shoppers.
Launching amidst a pandemic in 2020 meant that we had to source quick, creative solutions for our first collection. We started off with a limited range of 20 pieces, focusing on fewer but better garments. We tried to use the same fabric across more than one garment to reduce wastage, and focused on a 70/30 split, with 70% of garments being your timeless wardrobe staples, and 30% being your seasonal pieces. We will be continuing this strategy for our 2022 collection.
Here are some other ways we’re incorporating a slow approach to fashion:
- We produce limited runs. We do not restock and we produce in small batches, so no excess product end up in landfill.
- We are a direct-to-consumer brand, sold only via our online store to reduce overheads that way you can pay less, and we invest more.
- We have a zero-waste policy, in which we recycle, donate or upcycle any excess fabrics and turn it into something wearable, like our scrunchies.
- We stand for kind fashion, so we do not condone the use of leather, angora, down feather or fur in any pieces. We are also a member of the Fur Free Retailer programme, developed by the Fur Free Alliance, which reinforces the commitment to animal welfare and using animal free materials.
As part of our Supplier Code of Conduct, suppliers are also encouraged to avoid using materials and processes that are considered harmful to the environment, and implement sustainable processes that minimise harm, including the reduction of waste and energy.
We’re so thankful that you’re following us on our journey towards a more sustainable future.